[IRCA] KMTI 650 and other UNID SS

KMTI 650khz test heard very well in Central Alabama. WSM continues to prove to be impossible to null here,
despite trying a variety of antennas as inputs into the Quantum Phaser. Best reception proved to be using the
Wellbrooke ALA1530 loop alone (unphased) and adjusting it for minimum signal from WSM.

These revealed Columbia along with an UNID SS preacher (male). Any idea who this one might have been?
Several folks seem to have reported it.

Icom 746 Pro transceiver with it's wonderful IF DSP has become the primary MW receiver here these days...
and it proved it worth again. Using LSB mode, I selected a 1.3khz filter that was centered on the carrier
frequency...this basically reduces the sidebands which provide modulation for music, leaving only the
"sweet spot" near the carrier. Morse code and sweep tones just jumped out of this setting. Easy, armchair
copy at times during the test.

WSM, along with WSB 750khz in Atlanta remain the two most difficult stations for me to null with any
success. Moving into the new deed-restricted home at the end of the month. Over the summer, I hope
to install two BOG antennas in a drainage ditch next to my home, each about 600 feet long. They
will only be separated by about 10 degrees, but I'm hoping that combination works
some magic. I'll still be able to use the active whips and the ALA 1530, though perhaps not
as high and clear as now.

As usual, the best time was had by visiting the chat room at #mwdx on Starchat.net. If you haven't
tried this yet, you need to. It's amazing how much easier it is to ID stations while cooperating
in real time with others.

Now, if someone can help me with that UNID SS Preacher...my night will be complete. Utah #2
here in Alabama, and only my third station ever logged on 650khz.

Thanks to Jim, Doug, and everyone who made it possible.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867