[IRCA] R8B help. VOA-1180 Okinawa

At 08:42 PM 3/16/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>If you could come up with something on the R8B to help hearing 9 kc
>splits, it would be much appreciated here.  Right now I use the JRC to
>find the carriers and the R8B to listen for audio while switching back and
>forth between the two receivers.

Dennis,

I took a good look at the service manual, and it looks as though you may
have a problem with the synthesizer/microprocessor board.

I gather that the your receivers's BFO is not being switched on.

The BFO should turn on when you press the LSB, USB, CW or RTTY keys on the
front panel of the receiver. Also, the same indicator lamps should
light up (the ones located in the top right corner of the
frequency/function display board).

Otherwise, you just have to go 2.3 kHz bandwidth and see of you hear a
change in noise level as you tune through a 9-kHz channel. At 6-kHz bandwidth,
you should be able to hear a het of a 9-kHz split against the nearest
10-kHz. That's what I do.

>When did the VOA shut-down their transmitter in Okinawa?  Just found my
>VOA QSL card for October 17, 1969 on 1178 kcs.  Wonder what they did with
>the 1,000 kw transmitter?

I think it was in 1972 when Okinawa jurisdiction reverted to Japan. Before
then, the local stations used KS-- calls. The FEBC station on 1360 was KSBU,
but it had to shut down at reversion. There was a local FEBC station on
1250 kHz, and it became JOTF-1250 and became commercial. It continued to call
itself "Kyokuto Hoso" (Far East Station).

I can think of another Okinawa station, KSBK. I think maybe this became JOTF.

What became of the old Continental 106E?

It was "parted out."  I installed some replacement modules on one of the
500-kW Continental 420A SW transmitters at the Greenville (NC) Transmitter
Station. The stuff I put in (15-kV diode stacks) were labeled "VOA
Okinawa." I just had to comment on it, having been stationed in Okinawa myself.

Let me know on what you find on the R8B.

73,

Charles

My Transmitter Plant Supervisor at the time also had been stationed at
VOA-1180.

>Dennis,
>Vancouver, WA

        -----