Re: [IRCA] Daylight Shifting Time

Glenn Hauser wrote:
> NOTE: if you refer to DST as Daylight Saving Time, your are buying into and
> perpetuating the Big Lie that daylight can be saved rather than merely shifted
> from one part of the clock day to another (gh)
Which reminds me, here in the USA we move the clocks ahead three weeks
earlier starting this year.  It'll happen this coming weekend, March 11,
rather than the last Sunday in March.

In a way, the term Standard Time is now a misnomer, since it'll be used
only four months out of the year.  Wouldn't it now be more accurate to
say we're on Standard Time from March to November, and something else
from November to March?   Maybe call it Winter Losing Time ("it gets
dark early during the winter, so why not make it get dark an hour
earlier than normal").

 Lots of electronic equipment these days has DST changeover hard coded
into firmware or software.  For example, I have a VCR, a thermostat, and
a couple of atomic clocks at home that switch to DST automatically the
last weekend in March.  My home PCs do the same thing.  I expect them to
all be an hour off this Sunday morning.  If I reset the clocks in the
PC's, they'll probably be wrong again on March 25.

I wonder how many stations will change power, pattern, etc at the wrong
time starting this weekend?  Depending on the circumstances, equipment
such as timers might not be updatable, the station might not install a
software patch to make things right, they try to do it manually and get
it wrong, etc., all of which could create some interesting DX
possibilities.  Some might get it right this weekend and then be off by
an hour three weeks later when the equipment thinks DST goes into
effect.  Some might not notice that things are happening an hour earlier
or later than they should next week, and others may just live with doing
it wrong/illegally for three weeks.  It could get interesting.

Bruce