Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

Re: [IRCA] KXEL deserves a reprimand or license revocation

I'm not debating KXEL's responsibility or anything like that. I'm pointing
out
some facts. At this point, we don't even know what happened. As someone
pointed
out, KXEL might have had a generator that failed when needed. As someone
who works with emergency management types everyday of my life, I must have
seen that happen a hundred times.

We don't know that they made a decision not to invest in one or what other
factors
may have influenced that decision. But we seem to jump to conclusions and
then
sit here in judgment of their actions. Without knowing all the facts, that's
always
an unwise decision.

Likewise, when a DX'er hears a station at loud levels past sunset, many
assume
that the station is "cheating". To me, the phrase cheating implies
deliberate violation
of the rules. Granted that is sometimes the case...maybe even the majority.
But not
always. Automation systems fail. Inexperienced DX'ers confuse propagation
variables
for higher power, on and on.

Then a few DX'ers take this even further by calling either the FCC or
another station that
they think is being interfered with to report the "cheating". I've spent
hours on the phone
apologizing for just such mistakes.

The other fact is that there is no FCC rule that requires stations to have
backup power.
I think that would be a reasonable condition for the use of public airwaves.
So write your
congressman and complain. While you're at it, complain about the rules
changes that
allowed a handful of corporations to buy hundreds of stations, automate
them, fire most
of the staff and take a valuable tool in an emergency and turn it into a
cash machine
for some stockholders who live thousands of miles away.

My opinion isn't based on speculation, it's based on experience. Think about
it. One DX'er
upsets an engineer. That engineer works for clear channel and is active on
their internal
e-mail list. He posts about the incident---dozens of other clear channel
engineers get
a bad image of the hobby. DX'ers tests get harder to arrange.

Think it can't happen. It did. One DX'er in Utah did something stupid and I
spent months
trying to apologize, and clear things up.

Look at this subject line..."KXEL deserves a reprimand or license
revocation". Now imagine,
you own the station. Imagine that you bought a generator and it failed ten
minutes after it started.
Or that the fuel had went bad...or...whatever. Now someone forwards you an
e-mail from a bunch
of hobbyists who don't live in your market, your advertisers don't care
about, and your
station makes no money off of. What would your reaction be?

Frankly, I'm tired of being on this soapbox.

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111
Birmingham, AL 35216