Re: [IRCA] 740 and 860, minus the Toronto pests

On Friday 02 March 2007 00:04, Scott Fybush wrote:
> Lots of electrical noise here making anything useful on 740/860
> difficult, but with CHWO and CJBC both off, I have WAMO-PA on 860, with
> a promo at 0000 EDT 3/2 promoting the "Bev Smith Show," and a lot of
> noise so far on 740.

Having two 50 kW ND stations go off the air is a pretty big deal, so I'm
surprised to see absolutely no follow-up on this.  I guess most folks in the
east had already hit the sack by the time the word got out.  Fortunately, I
was still up, but on the downside, conditions were mediocre here.

In the absence of CHWO, 740 was dominated by Cuba (R. Angulo).  There was also
some C&W, which I strongly suspect was CHCM, a bit of weak sports talk, and
another unid station with Spanish talk.  I spent more time on 860, since I've
never caught that Toronto station off before.  Strangely enough, I didn't
hear any domestic signals at all, even though stations such as WAMO and WDMG
are fairly often heard here under CJBC.  The usual Cuban Reloj was there, and
between 0000 and 0005 EST, I heard IDs from both XEUN and XECCN (WRTH '07
lists them as XECCM, but other sources disagree) - alas, both relogs.  And
that's all she wrote for 740/860 here last night. :-(

For the record, both stations came back on at about 0050, shattering my hopes
that something serious would keep them off for at least a couple of days!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON