Re: [IRCA] IBOC status in Washington DC area

Re: [IRCA] IBOC status in Washington DC area

Actually, this rumor has been floating around for a long time now.

I haven't seen the latest schedule of fees, but the licensing fee is the
same if you're in Market #1 or an unrated market.  iBiquity claims there are
no "discounts for quantity", meaning that each Clear Channel would pay the
same as I would.

With AM, you pay the one time licensing fee and you're done.  If, however,
you sell and are profiting from the excess data capacity, you would owe
iBiquity 3% of the profit.

With FM, you pay the one time licensing fee.  If you add an HD2 or HD3
channel, and the station is making a profit from these channels, you would
pay iBiquity 3% of the profit.  Same if you sell the excess data capacity.

The fees on the extra channel or selling the excess data capacity may be
where this rumor started.  But if you're only running one HD channel, you
pay the licensing fee and that's it.

Tom Ray
WOR