[IRCA] Week-end dxing with a one tube superhet

[IRCA] Week-end dxing with a one tube superhet

This weekend I participated in the Birmingham, Alabama Crystal Radio
Society's 3rd annual one active device radio contest.  I used a pair of one
tube superhets this weekend.

Rules allow RX combinations.  A useful piece of equipment that some of you
boat anchor fans might find interestingl is the digital dial by Steve Weber,
KD1JV.  It's an smd kit for $25 with resolution of 100 Hz from 100 Hz to 45
MHz.  Photos of the dial and the two sets I used are at:

http://radioboard.schmarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=114

By chance, my set is more sensitive and selective from 850 kc down and
Jack's is more sensitive above 850 kc.  Performance has been spectacular for
both.  My antenna is a 160' random wire, up 70'.   I have id'd 204 MW
stations beginning at 1200Z on Friday, 2/9 and concluding this a.m. at 1200Z
2/12.

Best catches through today with one more weekend remaining:

555 ZIZ St. Kitts-Nevis 1531 miles

580 H1AF Monte Cristi, Dominican Republic 1040 mi.

580 WKAQ, San Juan, Puerto Rico 1350 mi.

730 XEX Mexico City, Mexico 1420 mi.

780 ZBVI, Tortola, BVI 1400+ mi.

800 PJB3, Bonaire, N.A. 1600+ mi.

850 KOA Denver 1400+ mi

1200 WAOI, San Antonio TX 1000+ mi

1620 WDHP Frederikstead, VI 1400+ mi.

1640 KDIA, Vallejo, Ca 2350 mi.

            KDIA was a lucky probable as 1640 WTNI Biloxi was off the air at
1030Z this a.m. and no carrier was heard.  WTNI is usually the 500 lb.
gorilla on 1640 for my near coastal Ga. qth. Rolling in the mix of the six
or so stations on 1640, I heard WKSH Sussex, WI and KFXY, Enid OK.  They
melted away and a fluttery signal came up to barely audible with religious
programming.  This matched KDIA's format and net live-streaming confirmed
the same.

            Since starting MW DXing this fall with my Drake R8B, I've yet to
log a domestic station further than 1800 miles, KSL being the best.  (I
heard KDIA on the Drake today)  I've never heard KOA on my Drake and only
once on my DX398.   These little one tube superhets are hot as firecrackers
and a lot of fun to build and use.

73 Gil NN4CW

Jack Bryant Designed

One tube superhets,