Re: [IRCA] Power vs tower

> Is it true that lower freq daytime signals travel
> further than higher ones since stations on the lower
> end seem to come in stronger than ones at the top with
> the same power from the same location,(disrgarding
> signal direction),because the wave length is longer on
> the lower freqs? Also I thought that stations on lower
> channels used higher towers,while shorter towers were
> used by stations radiating shorter waves,but I see
> that does not always apply in every case. Bill in Vic.

It is a matter of ground conductivity.  The US FCC ground conductivity
charts show this in clear detail.  I saw a breakout once that a 250w station
on 540 covers about as well as a 50kw station at 1600.  In practice, it is
very noticeable.

For example, one of my clients is WDDZ-550 in Providence.  At 1kw
non-directional, they are good for about a 50 or more mile radius.  Another
client is WXBR-1460 which is 5kw non-directional.  WDDZ-550 covers
significantly better.

I have that chart somewhere, but doubt I can lay my hands on it any time
soon.  If I do, I'll post it.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI