Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

I agree with Chuck that a few bad apples shouldn't spoil things for
everyone. But I
do receive a surprising amount of falsified reception reports, at least for
DX Tests.

Most are not very sophisticated, usually consisting of an hour or longer
recording
of the supposed reception, with some vague details and an appeal to "listen
closely".

Each major test will draw at least three or four of these types of reports.
If it happens
once or twice then it may be an honest mistake. But some DX'ers literally
seem to
report reception of every test, often with nothing on their recording that
even
remotely sounds like a tentative logging.

In at least two cases, I've telephoned the DX'er involved, and asked them
not to submit
reports unless the logging was "much clearer" than they had sent in the
past.

It should be noted that these always seem to come through the Postal mail
service
and on cassettes. I think that "publishing" prize catches on web site
actually discourages
attempts at cheating. If DX'ers know that their recordings are going to be
reviewed
by their peers, then they're less likely to attempt any kind of deception.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867