Re: [IRCA] Tower height vs power

I know that the present discussion concerns antenna height in degrees
and not actual physical height. A full wave tower, of course, would be
360 degrees tall. And a 5/8 wave would be 225 degrees. But the physical
height would depend on the frequency.

I thought that some of you might be interested to know that in 2002 I
conducted an FCC file search for the physically tallest AM tower in the
US. This search included the formula for greatest height in degrees vs
lowest frequency.

The physically tallest AM tower that I found was a 203.4 degree tower on
560 kHz in Monroe, MI. That would be about 989 feet tall. That was the
night tower for WLLZ (now WRDT) with a power of only 14 watts. It is a
folded unipole, or a similar derivative, on the side of an existing TV
tower. They also have a more conventional 4-tower daytime site at a
seperate location.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Certified Broadcast Technician
KCKK / KJAC / KCUV