Re: [IRCA] Jammer? on 1550?

Bill, just a bit more on the 1550 Cuban jammer you reported hearing.

It was on 5 September, 2006, I first noted what I call the Whooper
jammer on 1550, messing with WRHC Coral Gables and their Spanish
format.  I have been logging this jamming activity since then, which
is continuous as far as I can tell.

The "Whooper" should not be confused with the "Wobbler".  The Whooper
is an audio whooping sound impressed on a steady carrier.  The
Wobbler is a fluctuating carrier producing audio through interaction with
other carriers.  Also as mentioned, the Wobbler is sporadic while the
Whooper jammer is continuous; though fading may mask the
continuousness of the Whooper.  And finally, the Whooper appears only
on 1550 while the Wobbler has, over time, been heard on many
different frequencies and Cuban broadcast stations.

These distinctions are probably difficult to discern at a
distance.  From here, with regular monitoring and watching the two
signal types on spectrogram software, the differences between them
are apparent.

 From my vantage point I can not tell how affective the Whooper is at
jamming reception in Cuba of the targeted US station, its clear
intent.  That it can easily be heard over and under WRHC from sunset
through the night, and since it has been maintained all this time,
would suggest it must be achieving some success.  As Dr.Z. noted, his
DFing places the origin of the Whooper in the vicinity of Havana, so
at least that potential WRHC audience would be impacted.

The Wobbler on the other hand, originates on Cuban broadcast
stations, rather than as a transmission targeting US stations, and
therefore is unlikely to be intentional jamming.  It certainly must
be annoying though, to those trying to listen to the infected Cuban
stations, and occasionally to listeners not in Cuba, of incidentally
affected US stations.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan