Re: [IRCA] Cruise dx'ing???

At 03:48 AM 1/23/2007, you wrote:

>Just wondering if any of you out there have any experience taking portable receivers on a cruise?
>
>In April, my wife and I are taking a cruise leaving Tampa, FL.  The cruise will cross the Atlantic, first stop being the Azores.  Then on to Spain, Monaco, Croatia and Italy.  About 16 days worth.  I am planning on taking my Sony ICF-7600GR.  Still trying to figure out how to do some recording.  Only antenna will be the Sony's built-in antennas and the longwire (reel out) that comes with the radio.  Figure I might be able to record from the speaker using one of my handheld digital point/shoot cameras in movie mode.  I carry a portable card-to-cd burner for backing up photos.
>
>73,
>Jim Nall - N4FXC
Jim, I've done this several times bringing my Kaito/Degen 1103 with good results.  You pretty much need to have a balcony suite to get decent reception, although when in Tahiti, I was able to put the receiver right up to our window with OK results.  No dx, but fine for FM and strong AM signals.  In the Caribbean a year ago, I strung up about 20' outside along the balcony with decent results too.  I'd love to try a pocket loop (a la Kiwa) or even the ALA 100 from Wellbrook...bet they'd work just fine.  For recording, I take along the no longer available iRiver 795T, a wonderful tiny little mp3 recorder, about the size of a bic lighter (do they still make these?) and able to record up to 70 hours of mp3 recordings at a low but adequate for dxing bit rate.  A lot easier than your plan for using the digital camera!  If you don't have a balcony, have a chair on the promenade deck at night and relax with the receiver.  I found that there would rarely be anyone wondering about at that hour and results were also quite good.......Walt

Checked by AVG Free Edition.