[IRCA] Another try to demolish WOR towers Jan 11

NJ Radio Towers to Come Down
WNYC Newsroom, New York, NY, January 10, 2007
http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/71754

Three giant radio towers that have been a fixture alongside the New Jersey
Turnpike for decades are due to come down tomorrow. Police in Lyndhurst
approved the demolition, after halting a New York radio station from taking
them down in September.

Police had cited safety concerns and the possibility some people might
confuse the demolition with a terrorist attack. The 700-foot tall towers are
owned by WOR and have been a landmark on the turnpike for more than 40 years.
The station says the towers will come down at around 11 tomorrow morning, after
one of the wires that anchors the structure is loosened.

The station's signal is now broadcast from a new set of towers and
transmitter a half-mile north in Rutherford (via Mike Terry, dxldyg via DXLD)
700 feet = ``giant``. Then what is a 2000 foot tower? (gh)

Congratulations to Alex Roman - just a few years after coming to New York from
California as chief engineer at WKTU (103.5 Lake Success), he's taking on one
of the most prestigious engineering jobs in the city, replacing Kevin Plumb as
chief engineer of WABC (770)/WPLJ (95.5).

We'll be looking forward to seeing Alex - and most of the rest of the New York
engineering community - on Thursday morning, when WOR (710) tries again to take
down its old three-tower array in Lyndhurst. An invitation-only viewing party
will take place at WOR's new site a mile away in East Rutherford; we'll have
pictures for you Thursday night on Tower Site of the Week, and maybe even some
video, if we can make it all work right. Stay tuned! (Scott Fybush, NE Radio
Watch Jan 8 via DXLD)

See also his 2006 year in review:
http://www.fybush.com/nerw-yir2006.html (gh)