Re: [IRCA] mp3 recorders for recording DX

At 10:46 AM 12/25/2006, you wrote:

>George, I already have a flash player-recorder (an iRiver IFP-890)
>that I have been playing around with.  It has several shortcomings,
>like no time stamp, proprietary software and file extensions, and
>difficulty in monitoring the recordings.
>
>I was just thinking that maybe a 10 to 60 GB recorder might be a good
>storage device if it was DXer friendly.
>
>I don't have any experience with a voice recorder as you describe.
>
>Bill Harms

Merry Christmas, everyone!  I have the iRiver 795T which is excellent, IMHO.  I usually choose the 16 kbps setting in mono, which allows for about 70 hours to fill the 1 GB flash drive.  When it's transferred to my computer (an easy process....they provide all the software), it is automatically converted to MP3 files, which can be played on virtually any player, except for my RecAll Pro which lacks the codecs required... a shame, since I like this latter program a lot, and use it on most dxpeditions to record directly to my laptop hard drive.  I explored this problem and found that only a limited number of codecs are supported for proprietary reasons.  When I edit these files, I play them on JetAudio and at the same time record them to RecAll Pro using the stereo mix, thus not needing any wiring.  I think this means (at least I hope so) that it's a digital to digital recording without degradation introduced by analog output.  The 795T has that convenient line-in/mic which can be switched depending on whether you want one or the other.  Great little machine....tiny and I AA lasts for about 16 hours in my experience.........Walt.