Re: [IRCA] Computer Model of Bog

" Next project is to turn a truck
wiper motor and worm gearbox into a BOG roller-upper machine.  Gettin' lazy
in my old age."

  A few years ago, I bought 1000 feet of #26 insulated copperweld from R.F.
Davis for antenna experiments.  1000 feet weighs a pound and it is used by
some in kite antennas.   It's not cheap, but if you can't find field wire,
and are looking for something for stealthy, or for  porta-bogs, this may be
the ticket.  It's 19 strands of steel, copperplated, which is thin, tough,
kink and memory resistant and lightweight.   I tried a 500' BOG on a xtal
radio project which didn't pan out.  For rapid retrieval, I chucked a spool
(after duct taping a dowel to the spool)  into my Porter-Cable 19 VDC
portable electric drill and wound up the half-pound of wire effortlessly.
 It would be relatively easy to sandwich my current extension cord reel
between two disks of plywood held tight with nuts on threaded drill rod that
could be chucked into the  drill.  The drill has more than enough torque and
speed control to wind up 500' of military field wire.  Hand cranking the
reel is fairly simple enough without the need for an electric motor,
however.  The reel is a frameless  13" x 4" reel, weighing 18 ozs., with a
5.5" hole at center with a plastic insert for gripping that rides along the
inside of the reel's cut-out center.  I choose it over the ones with
external frames because of less bulk and the larger arbor picks up almost
18" of wire per turn at the start of retrieval.   Otherwise, you'll wind
like crazy with a small arbor until the diameter increases as one reels in
wire.

73, Gil NN4CW