[IRCA] morning Europeans on the west coast

[IRCA] morning Europeans on the west coast

Dennis was asking about hearing Europeans at west coast sunrise, and
just today, something came in from an Oregon ham on a 160 meter list  aying:

>I am holding a vigil on (or around) 1832 kHz around
>1500Z for the return of the morning European openings that we enjoyed back
>in 1996 during the last sunspot minimum.

So, I looked through my records, and found  that Northwest hams had
worked Europeans in the morning around Christmas 1997 as well (which
of course was a period of excellent MW trans-Arctic/Atlantic
conditions in the evening also).  N6TR said that 1445 to 1515 UTC was
the peak, though he hung in as late as 1545, but the contacts were
with Finland, Sweden and Russia, rather than further south or west.

Finland and Sweden are a little thin for MW stations these days:

Finland 558, 963 (963 only until the end of this year, per Medium Wave Circle)

>Radio Finland schedule: Europe: 558 and 963 24 hours, 6120 0500-2100,
>11755 0600-1900, 9560 0700-0900, 9630 1400-1800 (Swedish), 5970 2200-
>2230, 7195 1400-1600.

Sweden 1179: the European MW Guide is rather coy about what happens
here between 1400 and 1600UT.  My old WRTH says Russian, Estonian and
Swedish broadcasts...Anyone know for sure if they're on at this time?

Russia:

Murmansk is still on,  657 now...so worth a shot; another Murmansk is
on 1080 unfortunately, but there is also a Mayak listed on 1134.

St. Petersburg?   (heard in the evening in Victoria when it was still
Leningrad)   873...maybe 684, 1125, 1494??(don't see anything listed
before 1800UT though)

Arkhangelsk 918 is probably pushing it, even by this rarefied target list

Of course conditions are very poor right now, but by the end of the
year...who knows?  Also, 1314 was never logged in the morning here,
even as a carrier, so this may all be wishful thinking.

best wishes,

Nick

Nick