Re: [IRCA] morning TA's

At 17:34 03/12/2006, you wrote:
> > Has anyone on the West coast heard a TA station from 1400-1500 ? Seems
> > like it could be possible with the sun setting in Europe and still dark
> > here.  I guess last season would have been the time to try.

(I never received the original mail, or it is still coming...)

Bob Foxworth suggested this possibility many years ago now, Dennis,
and I have looked for them in the past, though usually morning DX is
a bit frazzled and quick here due to having to go to work.

A quick look at my records shows this from January of 2005:

>An  interesting carrier this morning (Jan 29), on 1314 about 1525UTC from
>Victoria....but, no direction finding possible with the loop, unusual on
>frequencies below 1450 or so.  Also no sign of anything on 1287 or any
>other Japanese channels in a quick band scan.   It was a grayline to
>Norway, enough said....dream on.  From the propagation monitoring traces,
>looked like it peaked at about 1510UT, so, better get to the radio earlier
>tomorrow morning.

Believe there have been several other instances of such "loggings"
over the years here.  With 1314 gone,  there really aren't too many
possibilities for a mutual darkness path, especially those that we
have otherwise heard here.

1215 might just make it for a couple of weeks around the end of the
year around 1545-1600UT.  Good in one way because 1215 is even poorer
for interfering TPs here than 1314 was.   Stuff like R. Farda might
be possible over the next couple of months from right now, but they
haven't been heard this season.

Back in the early 70's, I'm pretty sure I had Murmansk on 656 hetting
N. Korea on 655 according to the loop, but never more than a carrier.

Worth a try over the next few weeks, and likely worth making a list
of targets of stations that we have otherwise heard here in the
evening  that would have a mutual darkness path in the morning.

best wishes,

Nick