[IRCA] Accurian receiver review - part 1 of 4

[IRCA] Accurian receiver review - part 1 of 4

Review of Radio Shack Accurian 12-1686 HD receiver
by Bob Foxworth    - in 4 parts

I bought a RS Accurian HD radio for evaluation on
a promotional sale and rebate which ended last Saturday.
I bought it at a R-S store in the Citrus Park Mall,
in a factory boxed carton. The young sales clerk
knew what it was and did not mistake it for X-M/Sirius,
and said they were selling "lots" of them, though I
have to put that in some context. They said I could
return it within 30 days, which I might yet do. With
the rebate this made the net $100, within my pricing
model.

The box contains the receiver (and remote), power
supply, and 1 AM and 2 FM external antennas. The
receiver is approx 7.5 inches high x 12 in. wide x
6 in deep (max) and presents a slightly curved
panel with 2 speakers, one in each side and a control
area in the middle. There was a slight temp. rise
from the top air vent. The brick power supply is appx
4-3/4 x 2-1/4 x 1-3/8 inches and accepts a standard
PC 3-pin cord on one end and has a cable feeding a
barrel connector on the other, which goes to the rcvr.
The power supply output rating is DC 5V at 5 A.

The receiver tunes AM 530 to 1710 in 10 kHz steps,
with a rollover at the ends, and the FM tunes 88 to
108 MHz. The AM loop is a plastic rectangular frame
appx 5-3/4 in wide x 5 in high with seven turns
of maybe 28 ga stranded wire solenoid wound on the
frame. There is no tuning or resonating cap. The two
ends of the winding lead to a appx 6-1/2 foot mini
coax leadin, terminating in two tinned wire pigtails,
heat-shrunk at both ends. These tinned leads are
placed into the antenna input pushclips by the user.

There is a choice of two FM antennas, either a single
unipole of length 4 ft 10 inches, or a dipole (not
folded) made of mini twinlead with a feedline of
4 ft 10 inches and the tee is 31 inches each side.
Each FM antenna terminates in a F connector and has
plastic hanger eyelets.

The instruction book is 13 pages, well illustrated
and moderately technical at a user level, but has
no real technical internal operational receiver info.

end part 1 of 4