Re: [IRCA] Where were you on 22 November 1963?

Re: [IRCA] Where were you on 22 November 1963?

I was a Freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. That morning had
been miserable-- pouring down rain. Having a full Friday schedule over a broad
area of the campus, I had started out the day by buying an umbrella at the
then  University Co-op (now University Bookstore) on State Street. I still have
that  umbrella.

I had finished having lunch with my best friend in college, and we headed  to
a class we were taking together, Intro to American Politics. The  1:20 PM
class was held in the only classroom in the Hydraulics  Building, a somewhat
isolated structure along Lake Mendota. When we got into  class, we were met by an
unusual site-- everyone was listening intently to a  radio, including
Professor Jack Dennis, who sat still on the desk in the front.  We asked what was
going on, and someone said the President had been shot. It was  only minutes later
that the announcement that the President was dead came over  that radio.
Professor Dennis immediately announced that class was  dismissed.

The rest of my images of the next four days came from black-and-white
television-- the procession in the Capitol Rotunda as thousands passed the
flag-draped coffin and the Honor Guard stood stiff and still; Jack Ruby shooting  Lee
Oswald on Sunday morning; and the funeral procession on Monday.
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI