Re: [IRCA] memories of Friday, November 22,1963

Re: [IRCA] memories of Friday, November 22,1963

I was in my 5th grade classroom at Prairie Hill Elementary School in
rural northern IL. My teacher was Mr. Flynn a retired Army drill
sergeant who ran a very tight classroom. He was the only male teacher in
the school. He never sat and was constantly in motion making his way
slowly around the classroom always armed with a 4 foot wooden pointer
with a rubber tip. His schtick was sneaking up behind people who were
snoozing or otherwise misbehaving and whacking their desk, or sometimes
the student, with the pointer. He was a very tough guy and had us all
shaking in our shoes. The principal announced the sad news over the
school PA system. I don't think that I really comprehended the meaning
of the news at the moment. But I will never forget that Mr. Flynn
finally sat down at his desk. He was visibly shaken by the news. He told
us to read our texts and he remained seated and mostly silent for the
rest of the afternoon. I also recall that later in the day an entourage
of the principal, the school nurse, and the pastor from the church
across the street paid a very unusual visit to each classroom and led us
in prayer.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/