Re: [IRCA] BIG SKY DX Test wrap up.

At 07:22 AM 11/19/2006, Bill Harms wrote:

>On a personal note, only one of the stations was definitely heard
>here in Maryland - KERR 750.

Hi, Bill!  Since migrating over from the SW world (where they NEVER have dx tests, save Radio St Helena), I decided to see what all the fun's about and decided to check out the scene.  Now, I'm a whole lot closer, of course,
to MT, so it wasn't really distant DX, but still a lot of fun.  I monitored all the frequencies and my comments follow:
750 at times was very strong with C&W music and normal IDs way over KXL Portland, the normally dominant frequency.  They must have been running day power.  No signs of sweeps or Morse IDs.

>On 580, I had too much WHP, probable Puerto Rico, and other stations
>to wade through.

580 KANA Anaconda was the weakest MT station I heard, but just barely, and just the sweep  tones (at least until I listen to my mp3 files).  This was heard right at the beginning of the test.

>680 was all WCBM,

KKGR 680 just boomed in with continuous sweeps, Morse IDs, and voice IDs from the start of the test.  Very strong and the best of the lot.

>930 - was a no show and was probably not run.

No luck here despite frequent checks throughout the test (minus the last 20 minutes), so very well may have been a NS.

>1290 - was a no show and was probably not run.

KGVO 1290 was heard with local IDs (and in fact as I type this, I can still hear them at 08:00 local) but no sweeps, tones, etc.  Weak but clearly heard.

>1310 - I camped on this frequency most of the second hour

No luck here, either.  This morning there's KLIX in ID only.  So my observations match yours pretty well.

>In summary, we had a good time on #mwdx and I would consider the test
>to be a success overall.  I have a new state and life is wonderful.

Well, not a new state for me, but still a lot of fun I have to admit, especially the couple I heard with the tones, sweeps, and Morse IDs!  Something completely different.  Thanks Les for making it possible!..........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC