Re: [IRCA] Slow mail and No Hawaii

> Hello club memebers, I'm Sean Kelly, KK4TS/7 and I have just joined the
> group.

Welcome!  Always nice to see a new face..

> I had an idea for reducing interference from AM stations. It was to
> construct a box with aluminum foil on all sides except the top, then place
> the radio in the box with the top of the box pointed towards the station
> you want to receive. But it didn't work - the box cut out all reception.
> Does anybody have any ideas on why that didn't work and how to null out
> interfering stations from three different directions at once (so my Mom
can
> listen to her talk radio program in the morning)? Next attempt is to
screen
> out the skywave so it doesn't interfere with the ground wave by just
> putting foil on top of a box and the radio under it.

What you built has been tried and doesn't work.  As you saw, it simply
shields the radio from everything.  A better way is to turn the radio in
different directions.  You can often can null an offending station by
pointing the side of the radio toward the offended or interference.  If you
have a kitchen-type Lazy Susan around, set the radio on it and try.  It only
needs to turn in that plane, though sometimes tilting it from side to side
can help.  Probably easier to do than explain..

> I had an odd thing happen the last two nights. I was listening to a
station
> on 1530 KHz out of Sacramento (I'm in Seattle) and the peak was when the
> antenna was oriented for reception to the east and west, instead of the
> direction that the station was (south east south). A mystery.

Best pickup for most portables is in the direction of front/back.  They have
a figure 8 pattern.

> Sean, who is getting the impression that just having a Superradio II
> doesn't quite cut it on this group :)

You can pick up a lot with that.  It's not so much the equipment, as being
in the right spot at the right time.  There was a guy who used to DX quite
successfully with a crystal radio.  Linodyne circuit, if memory serves..

Glad to see you, and hope the list is useful.  I'm not anyone official to
the place, just one of the denizens..

Craig Healy, NG1U
Providence, RI