Re: [IRCA] phasing and TP's

At 18:19 04/11/2006, you wrote:

>Finally Walt, have you ever successfully used your phaser to knock down the
>signal of an adjacent channel domestic to help improve the S/N ratio of a
>TP? If a phaser can give me an edge in the city for hearing TPs better, I'd
>best give this type of accessory another try!

Funny you should mention that, Guy....the latest DX Monitor has me
crowing in DXWWW about logging NHK1 on 891 after phasing down local
CKMO-900, 10 kw at 4.7km, beamed (not tightly) roughly towards me,
half ? of that distance across salt water.  That was very gratifying.

My phaser is based on Mark Connelly's DXP-3 design; I think that the
Misek design looks like it should work with lower loss than the
DXP-3, as well as getting around the LC tuned phasers' possible
problems with nulling the carrier but not the sidebands.  The latter
problem is one reason why I wanted to try the DXP-3.

In practice, I found in using Walt's Misek phaser, that they're
"different" but it was hard to say that one was definitely better
than the other in all or even in most cases.    They're both pretty
easy to use as well.   If I had to choose, I'd probably give the nod
to the Misek unit, but then Walt hasn't heard NHK1 on 891 yet (and I
haven't heard WGY...though there was "Coast to Coast AM" last night
in KGO's null).  I haven't foung overload  traceable to either unit
yet, but have had the northern Flag give me problems; still trying to
track that down . (1070 is 10 kw at 2.9 km, a strong beam in this
direction (approx 2V/m at 1km per AMSTNS program), some also across
salt water, but that's it for our locals)

As for antennas, phasing the ALA100 against a 14m sloper has the most
signal output and can be very satisfying, but the 891 logging was the
north Flag against the west Flag, which in many cases requires a
little more (tuned) amplification to bring the DX up, as the Flags
don't have the same output level.

best wishes,

Nick