[IRCA] Tips for TP reception EAST of the Rockies? (i.e. in Missouri)

[IRCA] Tips for TP reception EAST of the Rockies? (i.e. in Missouri)

Randy,

I've ever expended much effort DXing TPs from Oklahoma since, for the
past 20 years, I've been spending at east a couple of months a year
in western Washington State, where the TPs are just the right degree
of DXing difficulty.  The one time that I did hear them from Oklahoma
was in either 1984 or 1985, in the Fall season (November???) when
Kirk Allen, Mitch Sams and I put up our first beverage antenna.  We
accidently hit a hot two mornings on MW.... we had been hearing some
TA hets with our normal longwire set-ups (used then primarily for
SWBC DXing) and we knew to look in the evening for them.  We got
Radio Monte Carlo, one of the Algerians, Lille and one of the major
BBC frequencies those two evenings. We were young and foolish and
DXed all night, mostly on SWBC, but we checked MW from time to time
and ABOUT 3 AM, we stumbled across our first TP.... it was 774. Then
there were several more, all in parallel.... 747, 774, 828 and
873.  It was not at LSR in Oklahoma, but rather at maybe 0900 UTC....
not too long after sunset in Japan.  That was back before I knew
anything about splitters or impedance matchers and we were all
hardwired to that Beverage, using my van as a shack.  We heard all
four NHK2s the second night, as well.

We were all three ready to abandon SWBC DXing and move to MW,
thinking that we could hear that kinda stuff everytime we hung a
Beverage among the Beeves in an Oklahoma cow pasture.  I kept DXing
almost every night, leaving the van (our second car) parked at the
end of the Bev in the pasture. I kept hearing those JJs night after
night, but sure got tired of going out to the van in the middle of
the night. I had heard of impedance matchers then and I knew that you
had to have one to connect the Bev to coax to run it inside.... and I
remembered seeing a copy of the IRCA bulletin and that they had
published an article, either edited or written by some guy in
Victoria, Canada named Nick Hall-Patch.  The information operator
(remember them?) got me Nick's number and I called him.  He not only
sent me a circuit diagram but an actual wired toroidal matcher with
little paper tags telling me what wire to connect where.  I did and
was able to move back inside the house. I still have that matcher,
but haven't tried to DX Japanese from Oklahoma since.  And Nick is
still helping me understand this crazy hobby, too.

I'm not at all sure that sunset at the transmitter (plus an hour?) is
as good as local dawn enhancement for your case in the middle of the
continent.... It was certainly much better during that week that I
was DXing them. Why not use something like Total Recorder and try
both times on a nightly basis????

Whoever suggested that your great circle path was almost all land,
across Alaska and Siberia had not looked at an Azi-Equi centered on
your location.  From central Oklahoma to Japan, the route goes right
over Seattle.  Your route from SE Missouri to Japan likely hits the
Pacific less than halfway up the BC Coast.

For the center of the continent to East Asia, if I could only listen
to one frequency, it would be 774, or highband 1566. If you wanted to
look at multiple frequencies, I'd ignore 873.... I can't explain how
we were getting a station in far south Japan... go for the ones
suggested: 747, 774, 828.  I'd also suggest 594, NHK-1 Tokyo and 972,
Korea.  Other powerhouses this year would have to include 945 and
963, Chinese transmitters in Manchuria (the 963 is their Russian
Service, Govorit Pekin.) And someone else suggested VOA
Thailand.  All of Southeast Asia must brown-out when they put that
nuclear flamethrower on the air! At times this year it has been the
strongest TP signal on the band.

This summer was a poor DU season for us up here in the NW and I don't
know why, really. So I'm not sure that trying for DUs would be very
productive.... Unless you hit a really strong auroral night.  Its
true that 1116 has often been the strongest DU for the last three or
four seasons (I think that they did some transmitter-antenna work
about that long ago.)  However, this season, they have been much
subdued here, even accounting for the poor cx. I'd think that the
best shot would be 702, 2BL. It seems to be the leader for the DU
openings most of the time. 738 Tahiti is probably easier for you than
2BL, now that they have a new transmitter. Then the Kiwis are most
likely on 1035, 2ZB Wellington and probably 2YB on 783.

One other DU not to discount is 1701.03 or so, Radio Brisvaani.  Its
only 400 watts, but it being out there in the open on 1701 and
off-channel a bit, to boot, I think that you have a real shot at it
under auroral or maybe even normal equinoctial conditions.   In the
early late 80s/90s, when the Aussies first opened up the expanded
band to low power stations, I was getting most of them on a fairly
regular basis from Oklahoma, with a 500 foot beverage pointed at
them.  David Clark even heard them several times in Totonto and I
think that some of the NE guys did, as well.  Brisvaani is well
modulated and has legs.

Randy, I'm heading back to the South Prairie in 10 days, so the above
may be a target list for me, too.

John Bryant
still on Orcas Island, WA