Re: [IRCA] I don't think I said...

Dan Strassberg wrote:
> ...or implied that KKMO ever operated from the boat. KKOL did that. Of
> course, I was writing about both KKMO and KKOL in the same message (stations
> that originally bore the calls KMO and KOL, that are adjacent on the
> Seattle/Tacoma dial, that are licensed to cities only about 20 miles apart,
> that now both transmit from the same city--Tacoma, that are currently
> co-owned, and that--for all I know--run similar formats).

Well, no...the formats aren't all that similar: KKMO is Spanish and KKOL
is talk.  Also, to get picky, KKMO's transmitter site might be a few
blocks outside the Tacoma city limits
>  And that's not even the end of the list of similarities. It's got to be really easy to get
> them confused. I could easily have written KKMO when I meant KKOL or vice
> versa--but I don't think I did that. Or what I wrote might not have been
> clear, or...
One further connection between the two stations - in the early 80's, KMO
tried unsuccessfully for a call change to KOL.  This was a few years
after KOL become KMPS.  From what I heard, KMO's management thought some
listeners might be confusing KMO with KOMO and writing the wrong call
letters in their Arbitron diaries.  Both calls had existed in the same
market for 50+ years by then, so it's not clear why the similarity had
suddenly become a problem.  Anyway, the FCC said no to the KOL idea, so
KMO became KAMT and its Arbitron ratings stayed about the same.

Bruce