Re: [IRCA] QSLing

Jim,

Yes, I figured this subject would get a bit of interest. Even though
some may not QSL much today, they did in the past.
   I never had much trouble getting QSLs in the 60s. When I started in
1965, I did not have much money and I sent all of my reports out on 4
cent post cards. No rp, but as a High School kid in the 60s, most of us
did not have money. But it was interesting, I still got 95% return. It
was amazing. Living in Alaska may have helped too. But my return rate on
the first report was amazing. I did not know any different, but compared
to today, it was a different world. Of couse by the late 60s I was
writing letters and enclosing the rp. But my return rate did not change
much. Apparently the station was more "PR" in those days and cared more
about hearing from distant listeners. Even in the 70s and 80s, my return
rate on my first report was still 80% or better. In the 90s it started
to drop, but still was good. Generally a follow up would get that QSL.
But since the turn of the century things changed drastically. The days
of the letter/QSL card are mostly over. There are exceptions, but today
it is e mail or ppc. Personally I wish stations would start to QSL via e
mail over a ppc anyway. The e mail QSL is nicer and it should not be an
issue to QSL that way. The GM at KAST QSLs via e mail, from the old days
of a letter. The e mail QSL is free too. No postage to worry about. Some
DXers QSL 100% e mail too. Now if we could get all of the stations to do
that too.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin