[IRCA] WYSL 1040 NY at higher power now (at least some of the time)...

[IRCA] WYSL 1040 NY at higher power now (at least some of the time)...

 From owner Bob Savage @ WYSL...

-----

We're pleased to let everyone know that five months of construction and
installation concluded this weekend with the beginning of high-power
tests at WYSL, first at 13.2kw and then at 22kw TPO for a calculated
20,000 watts into the common point.  The Nautel performed flawlessly all
Saturday and most of Sunday afternoons; the new antenna system likewise.

As the system settled into operation, we drove the signal into Rochester
and took some initial measurements - and I'm glad to report that initial
results are impressive.  On Clinton Avenue at Midtown in front of Bausch
& Lomb Tower, WYSL was delivering 14.2 mv/m (from 24 miles away!)  Other
measurements along the Lake Ontario shore:

Irondequoit Bay Bridge 5.5 mv/m
Ferry Terminal parking lot 4.2 mv/m
Edgemere Drive at Cranberry Pond 5.0 mv/m     (5 mv is considered "city
grade" or primary)

We noted that the previous fading under bridges and underpasses is
totally gone.  The signal is solid among downtown buildings and under
power lines.

It should also be noted that the day pattern is not yet properly shaped
- we're just radiating 20kw at some vague approximation of what the
final coverage is to be.  For example, at one of the day minima (or
"nulls") the signal is 100 times higher than the forecast limit.  What
this means is, when the pattern is pulled in properly, the signal
strength over the primary coverage area of Rochester is likely to
increase further.

Our thanks to our staff, employees, friends, associates and others, for
their support and encouragement during this project.

For local contacts (above) please note that in the coming week WYSL's
consulting engineers will be completing baseline low-power
nondirectional measurements, to aid in setting up the final day
pattern.  So if you tune in and don't hear a booming signal, it's
because we went NDA with only 625 watts so the engineers can complete
their work.  Also please note that the Nautel's audio processing is not
completely set up yet; expect more density and loudness on the final
product.  It won't be long now!

Best to all,

Bob Savage and Judith Day, WYSL