Re: [IRCA] Asian audio samples or firsthand knowledge needed...

At 21:49 13/10/2006, you wrote:
>Simple request, but I don't have the info available...
>
>   Listening to 657 this morning just before 1400 UT, to what I
> could only describe as the Asian equivalent of an "Old West" movie
> soundtrack.  It was coming in fairly well, then disappeared into
> the noise floor at 1359 UT.  I was able to make out a TOH tone,
> that was 3 pips followed by a longer tone, all the same frequency,
> but no voice could be heard at the time.  Within 30 seconds, I
> could make out Korean, but I don't know if the time tones were from
> North Korea or elsewhere.  Could someone tell me, or is there a
> repository of audio samples for things like that?

Unfortunately, high latitude conditions have gone downhill, Mike, but
while waiting for them to come back, you might check one of the
higher frequency parallel stations at the same time of day to see if
you hear the same thing.   Bruce Portzer's Pacific Asian Log gives
the following frequencies to try:

3250, 3320, 6250, 6400 kHz

Unfortunately, the only time pip reference I have to hand is 30 years
old (IRCA reprint F026), but there it says 3 pips and one higher
pitched pip, but it's not longer than the preceding ones such as you heard.

You might also try www.intervalsignals.net that was just suggested to
me.  Unfortunately, this particular computer doesn't have a RealAudio
player installed, so I can't check for you just now whether their
recorded sign on includes the pips.

Good luck.

Nick