[IRCA] GOODIES from Grayland: Oct 4

Friends
It was pretty-much a repeat of the past two mornings, absent
yesterday morning's Filipino, with marginally better signals from
China early and Japan late.  Started at 1120 again and had not only
Japanese but a slew of Chinese and Koreans across the dial. I checked
873 which had the Korean clobbering the JJ and, sure enough Nick, it
was // 2850.  I guess that my excuse is that 873 is ON frequency,
like the Chinese.  Happily, North Korea 2850 is way off frequency, high.

The morning went pretty much like the others did..... nice steady
signals from 1100 to 1300, then a half-hour "hesitation" with signals
down some and jumbled, then about 1330 (first light) it was off to
the races, with dawn about an hour later and fade-out at about 1500.

The more marginal signals, the ones that I was really interested in
today, were very unstable.... up and then down, seemingly
permanently. I started the recorder twelve times and only got two
decent recordings.... tentative Thailand 891 to send to Patrick and a
very tentative Russian on 1251. It was a frustrating morning.

I've heard two DUs.... 1548 4QD Emerald yesterday at good levels, mid
to late (didn't check today) and 576 2RN Sydney at the same time
today.  Thanks to Patrick's great loggings yesterday, I was really
hunting for Filipinos this AM. No luck for me.

I did hear several new-to-me graveyard channels of NHK2 synchros,
where the strongest "stations" are 1 kW repeaters. I was likely
hearing the one or two in Hokkaido, on several different channels,
late in the opening.  Also, Patrick, 1440 JOWF was running S-9+20,
measured, without any USA QRM, just after dawn.  Most likely, you are
right, you weren't hearing them because 1440 wasn't in your 100
memories of the Drake.

I sure wish that there were a way to ID those NHK parallels at other
that 09-something for NHK-1 and 1319 for NHK2. I'm certain that I had
some outstanding catches this morning, no matter which or even which
group of NHK repeaters I heard. Very frustrating. Sort of reminds me
of a couple of girls that I dated in high school.

Well, I'll buy some more stuff at Brady's Highly Recommended Oyster
Ranch (the giant prawns are outstanding and easy to cook) and upload
this.... Really anxious to learn what the other Northwestern types are hearing.

I gotta drive home immediately after dawn tomorrow and will miss even
seeing the guys that come in tomorrow night here.  I think, also,
that Walt will be DXing this weekend from the Queen Charlotte Islands
up in the Gulf of Alaska. If cx hold, no telling what he can hear
from up there. The big Elephant Cage MF/HF snooping antenna in the
NW... jointly operated by the US and Canada... is about 5 miles from
Walt's shore-side place.  Mighty fine DXing company he is keeping up there!!!

John B.