Re: [IRCA] "CBS Radio Networks Channel 44" blown automation on 1340 in the west

Re: [IRCA] "CBS Radio Networks Channel 44" blown automation on 1340 in the west

Scott,

  Tis I!  I first noted it just after 11pm Pacific time, and it was running consistently until between 4-5am.  I was watching a movie then, so I don't know the exact time that it shut down.  It was NOT present after 5am.

  Based on Russ' comment, I checked Westwood One's schedule for Sunday night football, and found that Fresno CA, Oroville CA, Corvallis OR and Boise ID were running it.  I know that I heard Fresno in the mix.  I did not specifically hear any of the others.  Based on the direction-finding ability of the Grundig S350, it could have been Oroville or Boise.  I put in a call to the Oroville station...no response from them.  I do get good long-range graveyard performance on that radio, so Boise is not out of the question though odds are against it.

  Mike Hawkins

Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Russ Edmunds wrote:

> *** Rene indicated it was the WW1 feed. That should narrow it down some
> - not definitive, but still some stations can be eliminated from
> consideration.

Alas, probably not. WW1 is one of the many clients of the CBS Radio
Networks system, and it's at least possible that ANY station with a
Starguide receiver on the CBS system, whether a WW1 affiliate or not,
could have had it tuned to channel 44 and been broadcasting the test audio.

The one thing that may narrow it down a bit is that the Starguide system
requires a station to be authorized to tune most specific channels. If
you're not a Fox News affiliate, for instance, your receiver won't tune
in that channel, even by accident. I'm not sure whether 44, which is a
channel used for lots of "occasional" audio, requires specific receiver
authorization or not. I have a friend who works in CBS Radio/WW1 master
control in NYC, and I'll ask him.

(Come to think of it, if the original poster can remind me of the
specific time of his logging, I can ask my friend at CBS what would have
been airing on 44 just before that...)