[IRCA] AM bandscan from CT / URL

Someone forwarded me this link:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/09/adventures_in_a.html

It starts out as below, and includes interesting (for me) bandscan and
commentary (I did not copy any of the bandscan)

ef

 Adventures in Amplitude Modulation - Part 26

[image: Deck_view_1]<http://blog.wfmu.org/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/deck_view_1.jpg>The
geek that I am, when I found out we were invited to join our in-laws
for
a few days at a beach house rental on the Connecticut coast at the end of
August, I wasn't so much looking forward to sun and sand and seagulls. I was
thinking more about the DXing <http://www.dxing.com/> possibilities.

Having a huge body of water at your backdoor is typically a fine place to
set up a shortwave set to snatch wandering radio waves bouncing unobstructed
from beyond the horizon. While this wasn't exactly the open ocean, it was
Long Island Sound, and it all seemed rather promising. However, from moment
I powered up my Degen that first evening I began to realize that this quaint
little cottage was NOT going to be the dream radio shack I had hoped it
might be. Oh, the reception was pretty good, that is for the stations that
were strong enough to overcome the WORST RF
noise<http://www.ve3hls.com/noise/rfihome.html>I've think I've ever
had to deal with. I'm not kidding when I tell you that
it was the worst chorus of buzzing and bleating across the shortwave dial
that I've ever heard throughout an entire house. And the deck and yard were
no better.

The problem? Technology of all sorts in every room. Every light in the house
was on a dimmer switch, which are notoriously RF noisy. And entertainment
gadgets were everywhere, even a TV (and video equipment) in the bathroom.
Not only that, but these beach houses are crammed together on the sand, and
I suspect most were loaded up with electronics and gizmos. Hell, from the
deck I could see that the people next door had a monstrous billboard-size TV
blasting living color chase scenes up on their wall.

[image: Listening]<http://blog.wfmu.org/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/listening.jpg>Fortunately,
the AM band wasn't so rudely affected by the inadvertent roar
of high frequency broadcasting. So, the dial scan I offer in this post is
medium wave reception from my first night there (August 28, 2006). I was
near Bridgeport, with a nice view of Long Island across the way and waves
crashing just a few feet from the stilts supporting the deck. Actually,
sitting right on the coast of a continent provides a lot of excess noise as
well, but the roar of the sea can easily be overcome with a set of
headphones and doesn't affect the recording.