[IRCA] Hams and SWL/MW DXing

First off, Colin, the important thing to keep in mind is that DXing is a
hobby, just like ham radio.  What hobbies you pursue is a matter of taste,
and not a mark of moral/intellectual superiority, so don't worry about what
elitist hams might think.

I'm a licensed ham and I expect that a good percentage of DXers are too.
I'll bet the majority of hams got into it through either CB radio or DXing.
Once you "shoot skip" or hear a station from a thousand miles away on AM,
you're hooked.  I think of my hobby as radio communications generally, which
includes ham operating and DX listening.  I do much more DXing than
transmitting these days because I'm space limited and don't have room for a
decent HF antenna.  I used to have a 30M dipole and did a lot of CW QRP
operating, but I probably haven't touched my key in at least a year.  I hope
that changes or I figure out a workable antenna solution:  there's no thrill
like having someone from Hawaii or Ukraine answer a 5W CQ.

I usually explain my hobby as radio communications when people ask about
it.  Most people have some sense of what ham radio is, although I have
gotten the "People still do that?" reaction more than once.  I actually have
a harder time explaining DXing, so I usually just say that I collect radio
stations by trying to hear ones I haven't already.  I've gotten follow-up
questions about whether I do this on the Internet, and I explain that if I
want to eat fish, I'll go to the store and buy it, but fishing is completely
different.

So do what you enjoy and don't worry about what others think of it.

Dave, N2HTA
Highland Park, NJ