Re: [IRCA] Semi-OT, maybe not - Poll question

--- cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have been SWL/DXing since 1971 -- In 1973 I studied
> for the Canadian Amateur ticket (while attending the
> occasional local Ham radio club meetings) and found
> the attitude of some of the young, newer Hams quite
> off-putting. Their attitude was pretty much: "You are
> either a Ham or a CBer.
> SWL/DXers are either failed hams or people that just
> do not have what it takes to be hams."

*** I know that was a prevalent attitude amongst some of the old-timers
when I first got my ticket in 1975 - the latter part of it that is.
They'd have never even suggested the possibility of it being a
sub-hobby.

> Anyhow - my question is: Do Amateur radio ops and SWL/DXers still
> feel that Ham radio is a natural progression of a DXer/SWLs career?

*** I view this as a natural progression for some number of us. I
started ( and I know of many others as well ) as a BCB DX'er, then also
an FM DX'er and then very briefly an SWL. I became a ham later.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID