Re: [IRCA] Who Stole Alla the DX??

Friday night from Barrington IL and Saturday night from Grafton WI were
stunning and on a par with what I could receive from inland New England
QTH's as a kid/young adult. Grafton is somewhat better than Barrington, due
to being Lake front and having no line noise, but I also have considerably
stronger eastern QRM across Lake Michigan in Grafton to contend with.

All that is needed for an effective phased BOG System for TA's here in the
upper midwest is a football field size of flat land with cut grass. I'd
rather have twice that much, but I don't in TA directions.

Aim the BOG's far northerly..ie 30 to 40 degrees, so they do a good job
nulling eastern pests, but still have the TA DX coming in on the right side
of the main beam (noting most Euro TA DX is North East of here).

Make one BOG about 130 feet longer than the other and when you phase out
back end(S to SE) midband (actually over much of the band) pests you won't
null the desired TA DX and often it will be stronger(a couple dB more on the
S-meter) on the phased combo than on either BOG alone.

Low A and K indices are essential for TA's here in the midwest and no matter
what antenna system you use, you will often here little trace of hets or
carriers.

Good selectivity is essential and sidebands can be useful, especially for
digging up audio 1 Khz (or 2Khz) away from QRM.

I'll take a quick listen in a few minutes as it is nearly dark, but with the
slight AU activity I am not expecting much.