Re: [IRCA] 1560 Radio Disney New York, WQEW?

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Bill and Karl, it sounds like the stations do vary a lot with ID times.
> But I agree, catching an ID from a weaker Radio Disney outlet like WQEW
> is not easy. I have heard it here several times, but when they were
> Adult Standards, it was much easier.

Actually, there's no variation at all in Radio Disney ID times across
the network, though it does move around slightly within the hour.

The standard format has a short break for promos (or local ads on the
handful of non-Disney-owned affiliate stations, like WOLF Syracuse) that
usually hits somewhere around :56 or :57. That's roughly a two-minute
break, starting with "Radio Disney will return" and ending with a Radio
Disney house promo.

That's when the legal ID hits. Unless something is misprogrammed at the
local station, this is always a full legal ID (usually of the form,
"Radio Disney, AM 1260, WMKI Boston," and usually read by a kid), and it
it is always followed by the network "return", which is usually a Disney
  Channel personality - "Hi, I'm Hillary Duff, and Radio Disney's back."

Then the live jock (in Dallas or Orlando) does a top-hour intro,
followed by a Radio Disney jingle, and it's into another hour. There are
no legal IDs elsewhere in the hour, but there are local IDs of the form
"Radio Disney, AM 1260 Boston."

The legal ID never hits any later than :03, nor before :57, and in many
years of traveling around and hearing nearly the entire network, I've
only heard them miss it once or twice. Usually, that seems to be during
the daytime story hours for very young listeners.

As for the animosity that many DXers have towards Radio Disney, I have
to say that I don't get it at all. Maybe it has something to do with
having a 3-year-old of my own, but the way I see it, Radio Disney has
taken some fairly marginal AM facilities in a lot of communities and at
least kept them active with current music. The production values are
very high, and the signals do get promoted locally, with everything from
billboards to bus cards to remote appearances. If we had a local Disney
affiliate here in Rochester (we don't), I'd have no problem letting Ari
listen to it.

If AM is to have any hope of having an audience 20 years down the road,
it seems to me we should welcome anything that draws young audiences to
that side of the dial...and if there's anything out there other than
Disney that's doing that, I'm not hearing it.