Re: [IRCA] Clear Channel planning to sell off

Re: [IRCA] Clear Channel planning to sell off

> > According to drudgereport.com on Thursday evening 9/14, Clear
Channel

> > is planning on selling off radio stations.

> *** While I agree with your wariness on the source,

Not sure what you mean by "wariness on the source..."

Drudge covers a lot of media issues and I think that
on balance he is reliable. Why do you believe that
"wariness" is called for?

Perhaps it will calm your nerves to learn that in today's
New York Times is a major article about the decline
in radio TSL among all age groups, and a part of the
article is the reference to several groups - including
Clear Channel - who are looking to sell off radio
properties, generally in smaller markets.

Perhaps this fits the speculation that HD will be
targeted for larger markets at the expense of the
smaller ones. This would solve the problem of how
to make it work in smaller markets, from the stand-
point of the big chain operators.

Maybe they are thinking that the future revenue gains
will never equal the investment to implement it.

Incidentally HD did not get a lot of mention, and what
it did was mainly in context of secondary programs.

However the problem remains that if there are thousands
of "new stations" created by HD-2 programming, this
divides the sales revenue pie into thinner chunks.

Is radio heading down the buggy-whip road?

The graphic in the article also shows which formats
are gaining, and which are losing, listeners.

- Bob                             sent 0842 edt