Re: [IRCA] KICY Nome [and non]

Glenn

Glenn Hauser wrote:

> Can one think of any other US MW station which has a skywave external service
> and direxional antenna to match? Quite a number of US stations in the northern
> tier of states are direxional northwards or into Canada at night, but that is
> more of a consequence of having to protect US stations in other direxions, than
> a deliberate desire to serve sparsely-inhabited Canadian rural areas.

Glenn

I can't think of any US stations with skywave programming for Canada,
but there are a few stations in northwest Washington with target
audiences in Vancouver BC.  KARI-550 in Blaine has been airing religious
programs primarily for Canadian audiences for the last 40+ years, and
even has a Canadian toll-free number prominently displayed on its
website www.kari.com.  KARI's sibling, KVRI-1600, programs mainly for
Vancouver's large South Asian population, as does KRPI in nearby
Ferndale.  The town of Blaine sits squarely on the US-Canadian border,
and Ferndale is a few miles farther south.  Also, KVOS-TV in Bellingham
WA programs mainly for Canadian audiences -  its primcipal studios and
offices are in Vancouver with a much smaller operation in Bellingham itself.

Bruce