Re: [IRCA] [am] Ignition Noise

> Thanks. I'll share this with my mechanic. However, it sounds as though I
> just need to drive it up there to you and let you have a crack at it.
> Or...you could come down here...

Heh!  If I had time..

One person recommended that the factory stock ignition wires and plugs be
used.  I've been down that road, and plugs like the Bosch platinum and some
aftermarket wires are better quality.  I shop for things like that at the
speed shops.  They do have resistive plug wires in a larger diameter that
are both quieter and longer lasting.  Less affected by water as well.  The
factory OEM parts are certainly better than the discount house parts,
however.  I also put the wires on the plugs and distributor cap with a
dielectric silicone grease.  Helps keep water and corrosion away.  And, I do
route them carefully using either the factory looms or ones I've made
myself.  Fiberglass circuit board material doubled up and epoxied as a
laminate works well.  With the copper stripped off, of course.

I have tried shielding the wires, but not to any improvement.  I made a loom
out of bent 3/8" copper tubing soldered together some years ago.  Problem
was that I couldn't seal either the distributor or spark plug ends.  There
are some military spark plugs with outer shields and screw-on connections
for the screw-on shielded plug wires.  I haven't seen those in years.

Ridding a car of ignition noise can be a bit of a black art.  There are the
basics, but luck plays a big role.

As I said, I'm in the market for a Cummins 4BT engine with the mechanical
injector pump.  No ignition, no noise.  EBay has 'em for maybe $2,000-2,500
in good shape, so I'm saving pennies..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI