[IRCA] A change for WHIC 1460 Rochester NY

[IRCA] A change for WHIC 1460 Rochester NY

I knew this was going to happen...but didn't know exactly when. At some
point in the last few days, WHIC 1460, my closest local, signed off for
good from the three-tower site on South Winton Road in Rochester that
it's used since 1947.

It's now operating under special temporary authority from its future
permanent site, the WROC 950 site about a mile to the east of its old
site. From that site, it holds a CP to run 4500 watts day, 3000 watts
night, DA-N, using three of WROC's four towers. (Because of differing
antenna efficiencies, the 4500/3000 signal from the 950 site should be
nearly identical to the old 5000/5000 DA-N signal from the Winton Road
site.)

Until the work is completed to diplex WHIC into the directional array,
it's using the fourth (westernmost) tower at the WROC site, with 4500
watts day, 750 watts night, ND.

This could make it a DX catch in some areas that are normally in the
nulls (WHIC has to protect WDDY in Albany NY, WTKT Harrisburg PA and
WBNS Columbus OH), so if you need WHIC and don't have it, go and get it!
I don't know how long this STA operation will last.

WHIC's programming is Catholic religion, mostly from the EWTN network.
It's a separate program feed from the "Relevant Radio" network heard
across much of the midwest.

As much as I'll be glad to have a very pesty local signal out of my hair
(the WROC site is just far enough away to make WHIC less of a pest to
me, and far enough from WXXI 1370 to get rid of the 1370/1460 mixing
problems that have long plagued me here), I'll be sorry to see the old
1460 towers go when they finally come down. Those were the tower lights
I used to see blinking outside my bedroom window at night when I was a
kid, and a big factor in developing my early interest in DXing.