[IRCA] A Message from Scott Bailey, GM/CE WMRO-AM, Gallatin, TN

[IRCA] A Message from Scott Bailey, GM/CE WMRO-AM, Gallatin, TN

What most folks don't know about the High School Football deal is this, the
Commission knows that AM is in trouble, and on Friday Nights, the FCC turns
thier heads on the AM stations running full power during the high school
football ballgames.  I know one station that has no nighttime at all, but
they
do have a letter from the Class A station (1100 WTAM) to run full power
during
friday night football and I advised the owner to put that letter in his
Public
File.  I told him as soon as the game was over, turn it off.  This is
serving
the community and keeping little AM's from going dark.

There have been a few DX'ers acting nasty about it.  I don't know why.  Most
of
them have never ran a station before.  Believe it or not, I DX while we are
doing our football games.  It makes me feel proud that we Americans still
have
that "Mayberry/Hometown Feeling" towards our commuities, high schools and
children.

Bert, Please explain to Neal and the members of the NRC to do this for me
and
other small town broadcasters,  "Be A Proud American", and support the
little
stations broadcasting H.S. Football for thier communites on Friday Night!

Scott Bailey, GM/CE
WMRO-AM
Gallatin, TN

Bert,

       I monitor the DX List (especially this time of the year) with the
AM's
running day power during HS Football.  I had to laugh we you mention you
heard
WDKN.  The tower and antenna system really stinks!  You do good to hear them
outside the county at 5 KW daytime!
       I've been to the tower site.  They were using a 5 KW CE Transmitter
last
time I was there.  There was some problems with thier RF getting into a near
by
Church's PA system a few years back.  It was suspected the chuch was not
using
shield audio cable from thier mixing board to thier mics and speakers.
      Problem was sovled by an idea just to buy the time from the station to
broadcast the Sunday Morning Worship Services.  The RF just went away after
that, and that made the station happy, and now the church has a live Sunday
Morning Broadcast as well.
       I know one night the other station here in town, WHIN (1010), was
left up
on high power one night after a HS game.  The kid running the board at the
station, turned it up higher than he was suppose to, 5 KW.  I think he
misunderstood because he was only suppose to rasie it to 500 watts. He
forgot to
turn it down after the game was over.  Gee, I knew that night after I got
home
what happen.  My signal meter was pegged on my Sony 2010, with the "RF
setting"
set on local!  I saw reports on list of everybody hearing "Real Country
1010",
bouncing all over the eastern US.

Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!

Scott Bailey
General Manager/Chief Operator
Classic Broadcasting of Sumner County, Inc.
WMRO-AM, Magic 1560
Gallatin, TN 37066
615.451.2131
615.206.4207 (fax)