Re: [IRCA] Synching-up--would attempting to revive this 70+ year-oldtechnology make any sense?

Re: [IRCA] Synching-up--would attempting to revive this 70+ year-oldtechnology make any sense?

Being a non-engineer, but with great admiration for those with the technological knowledge and skill, I'm wondering about the methodology the European broadcasters have used for at least 50 years to load several synchronized transmitters carrying the same program on the same frequency and defeat the echo effect.

In North America, there are two examples I hear occasionally of synchronized programming on the same frequency ... Two Cubans on 1180 and XEW and its Veracruz relay on 900. On each frequency, there is a slight program delay, and an adjustment of the radio shack loop can vary the strengths of the two signals.

In Europe, at least in the 1957-58 when I DX'ed extensively from Aschaffenburg, Germany, with a Zenith T-O and later the Grundig-Majestic table model radio I had purchased on behalf of Roy Millar, there was no discernible evidence of more than one transmitter on the frequency.

John Callarman, Krum, Texas