Re: [IRCA] KSFO 60's jingles

Johnny Mann Singers sounds right, though I can't remember for sure without being able to put my hands on it.  We had a summer house from 1955-1990, and in the 60s, there was a guy two doors down who played piano a lot, and the sound carried well.  As it turned out, his name was Douglas Cross, and he was one of the authors of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco."  I got a chance to meet Tony Bennett, and got an autographed copy of the 45.  As it turns out, Cross later killed himself.  Much later, I did a Google search on him, and found out he was really well known in San Francisco in the 50s and 60s.

I still remember the "KEWB Channel 91" and "KFWB Channel 98" jingles, and still have KEWB Hits and KYA Hits albums that both came out in 1962.  It too is put away.

Mike

Pete Taylor <ptdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I have the same 7" 33 LP that Mike has; it came with a promotional sleeve. I also have a 45 with "Sounds of the City" which was for sale to the public, as I recall, the difference being the call letters are omitted. I think these were written by Allen Newman (KSFO PD along the way) and Allyn Ferguson. The chorus sounds like the Johnny Mann Singers to me. I was never able to get a stereo copy. KSFO was unbeatable during the early to mid 60s. Don Sherwood had a third of the morning audience and they had the 49ers and Giants as well. Sherwood loved to play "Tinpanola" by Henry Mancini (later released as a vocal, "I Love You and Don't You Forget It"); I was doing the morning show on KFOG and did manage to drop that in from time to time.

When I put KFOG on the air in 1963, we did block programming at night but mostly MOR during the day. The newscast stinger consisted of the last four notes of Count Basie's "I Left My Heart in SF." I have always loved that version of this song (and of course Tony Bennett's isn't too shabby either). I also have a 45 with two different instrumental versions of the KFWB theme music. Old Jell-O brain can't think of the title but it was by Hank Levine. It's mono, too, unfortunately. ( am sure I will think of the title immediately after I hit the "send" button).

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop
DX398; Palomar loop