Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] KKOL 1300

Patrick Martin wrote:
But at least they (KKOL) aren't aimed right at me like
KIRO & KJR are. However I still hear stations on top of KJR at times.

I find it hard to believe that anywhere in Oregon is near a signal maximum
of either of KJR's patterns. Both patterns deliver maximum radiation along
an axis that is approximately perpendicular to the azimuth of the line of
towers, which I believe is aimed at Fort Worth TX. KJR is diplexed with KGNW
820 and the array was originally built for KGNW, which protects WBAP--at
least at night. KJR's day pattern favors the north a bit more than the south
and the night pattern favors the south a bit more than the north, but the
maxima move less than 30 degrees at pattern change.

You could easily be very close to a minimum in KKOL's day pattern. There is
a minimum at 260 degrees. The field strength there is equivalent to maybe
1.6 kW. At the same azimuth however, the night pattern produces a field
equivalent to more than 50 kW. The field decreases rapidly as you move
south, however. Whereas the day pattern is an inverted figure eight centered
on the north-northeast and made slghtly asymmetric by the use of a third
tower, the night pattern is a single-lobe four-tower job centered on the
northwest.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367