[IRCA] 1470 WWNN IBOC off, or something.

[IRCA] 1470 WWNN IBOC off, or something.

I found today during my routine daily check of southeast Florida IBOC
suspects, that 1470 WWNN Pompano Beach, appears to have turned off their
IBOC.

They have done this on occasion in the past -- by design or thanks to
hurricanes -- so there is no way to know if this is permanent or just
temporary.  The latest run of IBOC operation was from 4/29 until 8/14, the
longest period since I started monitoring in Nov., '05.

What is rather strange is that their audio is clear though lower in
strength on 1480 -- actually 1479.5-1482.5 the audio is listenable.  Only
splatter can be heard below 1466.5 on the low side, as one would expect,
and the same is true between 1473.5 and 1479.5 on the high side.  All these
ranges are approximate because the audio is not symmetrical around
1470.  From this I wonder if IBOC is turned off, or if it is
malfunctioning.  For the record, at no time did my radio leave the analog
domain, so whatever is happening is all on analog.

At the moment, that leaves only 560 WQAM Miami, continuing to operate with
IBOC to enhance their sports talk audio experience. :-\

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida
[Ten-Tec RX-320D; LFE H-800; JPS ANC-4; GAP DSP]
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/radio/sefliboc.html