Re: [IRCA] DX Tip for WDXR

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Scott,
>
> That is too bad. But I wonder how KDWN's ratings are?
>
> Patrick
>
> Patrick Martin

Somewhere between nonexistent and zero, with a stop along the way at
minuscule.

The station was a neat throwback to older days of radio, full of cart
machines and reel-to-reel decks, all still in use. But the programming
was pretty sketchy towards the end - lots and lots of leased-time doctor
shows and whatnot. They lost Art Bell to KXNT years ago, and many of the
staffers were grumbling about how much the remaining local shows had
been cut back by leased time.

If Beasley can turn it into a "real" news-talk station, it still won't
have the same romance it had as a standalone, but it will probably
provide a more valuable service for many more listeners. It was
underperforming pretty badly in its last few years (in part, I think,
because its elderly founder died last year and it had been under
caretaker ownership ever since.)