[IRCA] India to Illinois on 1566

** INDIA. Who am I? I've been SWLing and DXing for nearly fifty years, although
I had a long hiatus between 1988-2006. Now I've acquired a Collins 390A, which
I need to dig out signals in my very poor location: Midwestern U.S.
(doubleclick onfiltered = Mendota, Illinois). I'm running an EWE, a homebrew
sloper, and I just put a DX-1 Pro on the roof (with mixed results.) I've been
mostly listening on higher bands - 25, 31 meters - to keep current on world
events.

But today there was some skip - I logged AIR Nagpur on 1566 kHz! That is a very
big deal in my location. This has me interested in MW and trop bands again.

In addition to the 390A, I have an Etón E1XM, and I gave my ten year old son an
Etón E10. Now he's got the bug, too.

BTW, as a demonstration of the awesome sensitivity of the Collins, the E1
yielded nothing on 1566 kHz while the 390A dug out a listenable bulletin of
news - with the same antenna. And the E1, as you know, is a good rig.

I would say antenna theory and experimentation are my current interests - I'm
doing trial and error with different grounding setups this week, with very
interesting results. I'm trying to work out switchable ground radials for
different bands - I'll let you know how that goes. Complicated!

When I get frustrated with bad reception here, I log into Kelly's Rommele DX
site and pretend I have 7 EWE's of my own in the Swedish countryside. Regards,
(Adam Brower, SW Bulletin July 23 via DXLD)

India to Illinois on MW is extraordinarily rare, even with a megawatt. How
about details of time, date, program details, ID method? There would be only
very small grayline windows around SR/SS at solstice (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Look what you missed: India 1566 --- Hi Kaz, Thought you might be interested in
this item, as I would be in your comments. I am inquiring to find out full
details of date, time, program material, etc. 73, (Glenn Hauser to Neil
Kazaross, IL, via DXLD)

I hope you can dig out more info. There's an awful lot of daylight along that
transpolar path this time of year. I can see where this bears watching since
there's really nothing strong on 1566 since the Swiss closed down. (I've logged
that). I could see where this high power could be possible and I get mid
eastern high band openings with Kuwait 1548 and Farda 1575 and of course Saudi
1521 a few times a season, but certainly not in mid summer. 73 (Kurious KAZ, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Glenn... Thomas at SWB asked me to forward details of my catch to you. I was
experimenting with groundings on my homebrew antenna on June 21st at around
2030. Receiver is Collins 390A, antenna is en end-fed sloper, 9:1 balun. I had
changed the ground to include the shield and ran upstairs. I had been looking
for Brazilians around 1570 the night before and just left it there. When I
tuned down from there I heard a very thready but audible YL reading a news
bulletin in distinctly Indian-accented English. At first I thought it might be
a Guyana station, but she very plainly said "this is All India Radio" at the
end of the news (2035 or so.) Vocal music followed (m & f "call and response")
for around three minutes before it faded. There was a short fade up a minute
later, then nothing. Nothing since, either. I later verified the catch at
dxtuners.com. Since I`m smack in the middle of this continent, this is
certainly the best skip I`ve ever logged. I think I'll leave that ground just
the way it is! Regards, (Adam Brower, IL, UT July 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Nagpur is right smack dab in the center of India, which is probably why it was
chosen for a 1000 kW transmitter, approx. 79 E, 21 N. 2035 CDT = 0135 UT, or
0705 IST, i.e. close to SR at the transmitter and SS at the receiver. Perhaps
someone will check out the grayline at that time on Summer Solstice to see what
the path looks like in those terms (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)