[IRCA] notes from Prince Albert Saskatchewan / my Jethro moment

[IRCA] notes from Prince Albert Saskatchewan / my Jethro moment

greetings,

I spent the past week in PA National Park), and did some AM listening with my Sony 7600GR and Yaris car radio.  PANP is about 500km north of the Canadian border, mid-province (east-west)

540  I was surprised how poor reception was in PANP during the day.  I could not find a local rebroadcaster.  At night CBC 1010 came in much better than 540 and was my choice for listening to CBC Radio One.  740 and 990 (Edmonton and Winnipeg) were not as good as 540.

Vancouver and Seattle stations:  I easily heard Seattle 710, 1000, and 1090 (this last one surprised me, it is not that strong at home in Vancouver BC).  Also, from Vancouver I got 1040, 1130, 1320 and possibly 1470.  (No IDs on the last two).

Baseball - two good Jays stations, I think it was 1290 and 1330.  And the Twins on 1420?  Or was it 1460?

810 KGO came in one night well enough for me to listen to it for a half hour or so.

Edmonton and Calgary -- the loudest at night were 660 (Calgary) and 880 (Edmonton)

SW reception seemed to have way more signals thanI am used to getting in either eastern Ontario or here in BC.  But that is just an impression.

my Jethro Bodine moment -- well, golly Uncle Jed, I had no idea that you could watch live teevee on airplanes.  I must have been asleep, like Rip Van Winkel, for some time now.  Canadian air carrier West Jet had live Blue Jays, live CFL, as well as news from various sources (Global Vancouver, CBC Newsworld).  All live via satellite.  Who knew?  (OK, everyone but me knew about this...)

ef
back home now in Vancouver