[IRCA] MW DX, bandscan at Enid OK

** U S A [and non]. Temporarily in possession of a 2002 Saturn, presumably with
its stock radio, much better for MW DX than my SW caradio where MW is an
afterthought, I did some bandscanning from about 15 km N of Enid on US 81, UT
July 18, 0045-0130. This was well before LSS, with the bright sun still
producing 100+ degree temps. Nevertheless, skywave was already booming in on
the high end of the band. Besides logs separately reported under OKLAHOMA,
here`s what I noted, in UT time order; reference, NRC AM Log 2005-2006:

0043, KXTR, 1660, classical already skipping in from Kansas City.

0045, XERF, 1570, also in already, must be the Mexican tho not IDed
0048, 1600, had an 884- phone number, KOKE ID (Pflugerville TX, Austin market)

0056, 1420, with a het, Firestone ad for Hot Springs AR (KBHS listed); are they
off frequency or is KTJS Hobart OK, the daytime dominator, or some other
station? Did not hear het later in evening or next day

0011, 1580, KOKB Blackwell OK had a het, a ``low rumble``. Was the
off-frequency 1580 ever identified?

0105, 1600, now dominated by Asian Broadcasting Network, 972-877-1428, DFW,
Radio ---- some foreign name, and the promo partly in foreign language.
Punjabi, maybe? (KRVA, Cockrell Hill TX)

0106, 1370, had a low het on it; someone else off frequency

0107, 1210, Mexican music, probably KGYN Guymon OK, and with IBOC QRM from WOAI
1200 (per http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html
IBOC is currently turned off there --- NOT!); also IBOC buzz audible on 1190.
And detected on 1220 at 0128.

0108, 1170, KFAQ Tulsa OK had a station in Spanish underneath, intriguing; wish
I had a loop. Too early, I think for KJJD in Colorado. Maybe an actual Mexican.

0109, 1110, with IBOC buzz, and less so on 1130, but this points to KMOX 1120
St. Louis as source, and they are on the lists as such. But see 0131 entry
below!

0111, 850, Spanish music. Guess it`s KJON Carollton TX, the former KRPT
hijacked from Anadarko OK to The Metroplex; or the twice-as-far but also
Spanish KEYH in Houston. Still too early for KOA and its IBOC sidebands, tho
under ideal daytime condx KOA barely makes it here

0115, 1100, R. Cadena Habana`s wobbler clearly audible beneath a gospel huxter,
presumably KKLL Webb City (Joplin MO market); wobbler remained when the latter
faded down. Curt Deegan says this coincided with a peak in wobbler output as
monitored in SE FL

0131, now the IBOC is on 1100 and 1120, which means it`s coming from KFAB 1110
Omaha. So KFAB interferes with KMOX and vice versa  (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) continued under OKLAHOMA [+non]

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. MW bandscanning, continued from U S A [and non]. Another
session during full daytime, none of that dratted skywave, I hoped, but started
too soon, first from home with FRG-7, longwire, July 18, UT in time order!

1352, 1660, KXTR Kansas City was still in with classical; 1406 fading out

1354, 1570, unID, skywave surely, expecting hi temp of 101

1400, 1600, KUSH singing ID, still on the air tho license cancelled and
callsign deleted per FCC (see separate report under OKLAHOMA); into Oklahoma
News Network to 1404 --- looked quickly for parallels but none found; tends to
be on weaker small-town stations. SAH of 3 Hz, maybe KRVA TX or 50 kW WMQM TN
residual skywave?

1406, 1650, KWHN Fort Smith AR with ID, local commercial (transmitter site in
OK); not heard later on caradio, so may have been last gasp of skywave, or just
too much signal from local KFXY-1640.

Now from the Saturn caradio mobile, in eastern Enid:

1455, 1430, KALV ID, confirming another deleted station is still on, Alva OK

1500, 1600, KUSH Cushing OK, full ID, again at 1600, ditto
[see OKLAHOMA report for more on both]

Saturn caradio, parked at a grocery in eastern Enid; some line noise and
strange carriers perhaps from security:

1605, 1320, ``Western Oklahoma`s official news voice, News Talk 1320``, i.e.
Clinton, presumably still KCLI. What pray tell, makes it ``official``?? Then
contradicted itself by joining Rush (with sub) at 1606. There is no news on
that show, only fantasy.

1606, 1390, KCRC Enid runs Paul Harvey an hour before noon

1608, 1700, KKLF Sherman TX is the only x-bander now audible besides local KFXY
1640

1610, 680 also has Paul Harvey early. KFEQ St. Joseph MO would be it

1611, 890, KTLR OKC, preacher with LF hum, increasing in pauses, due to AGC, as
transmitted? (This radio has very good bass response)

1611, 1050, hum of maybe 50 Hz (guess) between two stations, no doubt the usual
KKRX Lawton and KGTO Tulsa

1612, 1190, C&W with a fast SAH, presumably KVFV Beloit KS vs KFXR Dallas TX

1613, 1220, call-in on religion, so KTLV Midwest City OK still on air

1613, 1240, fast SAH, rather than audible het as used to be the case, so KFH
Wichita KS and KADS Elk City OK are closer to frequency

1614, 1260, discussion of BIA, no doubt from the tribal-owned KWSH Wewoka OK.
In English

1615, 1430, KALV Alva OK ID, oldies, with a SAH of about 6 Hz, presumably with
KTBZ Tulsa. I estimate such SAHs by watching my watch as the digital seconds
click by and counting 1-2-3-4-5-6 for several seconds to find when the second
turnovers stay in synch with my count (or 1-2-3, or whatever, by trial and
error). This works only up to about 10 Hz for me; some may have quicker brains?
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)