Re: [IRCA] An interesting post from the radio-tech list

Re: [IRCA] An interesting post from the radio-tech list

> I used to work at graveyarder in the 70s. Often the owner would stay on
> full power for the local ball game to serve the sponcers. It used to
> really bug me as I was the board operator often. I fiqured the FCC could
> walk in at any moment. But fortunately nothing ever happened.

Oh, illegal operation certainly does happen.  And for many small stations
operating illegally for a HS Football game, for instance, can make the
difference between economic survival and failure.  But if I advised one of
my clients to do so, it could impact me in the wallet, to say nothing of
reputation.  I have dealt enough with the local FCC folks that they know who
I am, and that I do my best to keep things above board.  That in itself has
helped during an inspection.

>    But you are right that a pest in someone elses DX. We should be glad
> a few cheat. hi. I know I have logged some and even QSL'd many. Of
> course I never say a word in my report about the station being a high
> power. After all, how do I know for sure? It might me conditions often
> anyway.

About the only way to tell externally is by signal strength measurements.
There is usually some difference in signal between day and night, and often
a momentary dropout during pattern change.  That can be so fast as to not be
noticed, though.

I will say it's dead easy to tell when some AM has IBOC on after dark.  I do
see too much of that lately - without naming stations specifically.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI