[IRCA] Pacific Radio Heritage News #10

For all those interested...

-------------
Pacific Radio News
March-April 2006
Issue 10
Newsletter of the Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

In this issue:
New Radio Heritage Partners
New Stories on-line
PAL Mediumwave Radio Guide Revised
PAL Shortwave Radio Guide [NEW]
10 Simple Tips to Save Your Station!
More Long Lost Australian Radio Stars
Long Lost Radio Images [NEW]
ANZAC Salute to 'Diggers on Air'
Sentimental Journeys on RNZI [NEW]
2KY Radio serial [NEW]
Feel like making a difference?
170000 Visitors and growing monthly!

Welcome to more new readers this month! Nearly 2000 of you now get
the latest radio heritage news, including more stations in Australia
and many others around the world....good timing as more stations
celebrate long anniversaries of serving their communities and markets.

We're here simply to protect, preserve and promote the Pacific's
radio heritage, and we achieve more each month with your help and
contributions.....thank you! As a non-profit charitable trust, we're
completely reliant on your support.

New Radio Heritage Partners
This month, I'd like to start by acknowledging several new radio
heritage partners. ProCopy offer great printing services,
RadioLogoland have the best memorabilia of the Top 40 stations from
the 50's, 60's and 70's, and the Historical Radio Society of
Australia are passionate about everything to do with old time radio!
Check them out on our Radio Heritage Partners page.......

New Stories on-line
Amongst some great new reading at www.radioheritage.net, you'll find
David Musick's Tall Tower Tour of Pago Pago [yes, we're looking down
at the top of a tall FM tower!], Adrian Peterson's latest well
researched column covers early Australian radio 'from Shows to
Boats', and a great story about KODK in Kodiak - one of the first
Armed Forces Radio stations in the 1940's and a pirate operation as
well!

PAL Mediumwave Radio Guide Revised
Bruce Portzer has been very busy. His popular Pacific Asian Log Radio
Guide to 4300+ AM stations throughout the region has been completely
updated and the new version is now available to search or download at
www.radioheritage.net.

PAL Shortwave Radio Guide [NEW]
And, the NEW Pacific Asian Log Radio Guide to 1600+ SHORTWAVE
stations in the region is now released, and can be searched or
downloaded! This is great news for broadcasters and listeners alike.
There's nothing quite like it anywhere else!

We're so pleased that these Radio Guides are so popular, and that
we've been able to add the shortwave one as well....keep an eye out
for some FM Radio Guides scheduled in a month or two. These take a
lot of work, but it's the kind of behind the scenes support that goes
on all the time and for which we thank those who give so generously
of their time and knowledge.....

10 Simple Tips to Save your Station
Imagine 25 years from now. If you were trying to find out about
contemporary radio stations, what would you find? Faded photos with
no names of the people in them? Links to a long gone web site? What
did the station sound like?

The projects you support with us will make it possible to see old
faces, put names to people, hear today's personalities and much more,
as we work together to keep the best of today's radio for tomorrow!

So, with the future in mind, here're 10 very simple tips to keep your
station memories alive:

[1] keep a memories file - stuff it with posters, newsletters, car
stickers, promotional items and anything else that fits,
[2] take photos of the staff, volunteers and supporters at the mike,
in the studio, out and about...put a date and name on it..and put it
in that second memories folder you now need!
[3] dig out sales folders, old brochures, program guides, promo CD's,
magazine articles, award certificates...and add them to your memories
folders
[4] interview people connected with the station, capture the dreams
and passions on tape or CD and keep these oral histories somewhere
very safe
[5] produce short history promos or stories about your station and
it's people, celebrate the big wins, use them on air..and keep copies
safe....
[6] find old recordings of great shows and DJ's, and rescue them from
old cassettes [or, heaven help us, from reel to reels in the
basement], get them onto CD, and build a small collection of jingles,
on air ID's, great moments, bloopers, disasters and other memory
joggers...and keep the CD's very very safe!
[7] get local newspapers and magazines to come along and write up
your station, promotions, events - it's all good publicity too!
[8] If you've survived a year on air - organise a staff and/or
volunteer reunion [great party excuse!] - collect interviews and ask
people to bring along the bits and pieces of station history they've
hidden away at home!
[9] find a volunteer on staff to co-ordinate all these activities,
support them and make it happen, so that your station and today's
people will have a place in tomorrow's radio heritage.
[10] Remember to send us your stories, your CD's, your scans or
copies or even originals of your history so we can include it in the
on-line archive for your station...a permanent home for your
station's memories!

Easy! And, drop us a line at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you want to
talk about how we can help! Because we can!

More Long Lost Australian Radio Stars
Now, looking back at some station memories from the mid-1940's,
you'll find Long Lost Australian Radio Stars from 2AY Albury in NSW,
and 4BU Bundaberg in Queensland now on line at www.radioheritage.net.
We have another 50 in this series to release.

Long Lost Radio Images [NEW]
NEW is our Long Lost Radio Images series. First up are the Cow Town
Boys from 1930's KELW Burbank, CA and the New Zealand ZB Network
Advertisers from 1937 - 'Firestone Tyres Piccadilly on Parade' and
'Cadbury's The Lone Ranger' amongst them as we count down to the 70th
anniversary of 1ZB Auckland later this year.

ANZAC Salute to 'Diggers on Air' [NEW]
Our ANZAC Day Salute [April 25] is 'Diggers on Air' and an exclusive
list of WWII Australian Military Radio stations, rare photos and
station memoraiblia, and some of the personalities. There were almost
50 stations such as RAAF Madang, 9AD Morotai and others from Papua
New Guinea to Japan. They were the Aussie equivalent of the US Armed
Forces Radio stations.

Adrian Peterson is currently researching detailed items on these
stations, and they'll begin appearing at www.radioheritage.net
shortly. Can you help promote the call for more information about
these stations?

And, of course, the same goes for our AFRS Guides. Currently we have
AFRS Japan, AFRS China-Burma-India and AFRS Alaska on-line. Over 100
stations from the 1940's. If you know more about any of them, please
let us know.

Sentimental Journeys on RNZI [NEW]
A NEW Radio New Zealand International radio heritage documentary is
broadcast on April 3. 'Sentimental Journeys' takes you inside the 3DB
Melbourne studios to join Paddy O'Donnell in 1984, you'll hear
Italian Radio 3AK Melbourne from the early 1990's, a visit to 2XS
Palmerston North [New Zealand] in 1985 along with rare jingles, a
short cut from short lived Radio Aotearoa in 1989, and an extremely
rare station ID from WVUV American Samoa on 1120 AM in 1980...plus
Homer's story.

Listen to RNZI's Mailbox program, and hear it from www.rnzi.com in
the 'more audio' section under the 'Mailbox' heading.

2KY Radio Serial [NEW]
It's taken a while, but worth the wait. Our new radio serial is
available from this week! It's the story of 2KY Sydney and the
remarkable Olympic Gold Medal winner who struggled against big
business to start the station, and who later spent the rest of his
life in Auckland, New Zealand. His family also helped make 2ZA
Palmerston North [NZ] a success, and created 'talkback' radio in
Australia! Part 1 of our new five part serial on 2KY on-line at
www.radioheritage.net.

Feel like Making a Difference?
Behind the scenes, we have work progressing on more New Zealand and
Australian materials, our Art of Radio Hawaii project, more PAL Radio
Guides, cataloging of new additions to our growing collections,
preparations for bringing the database on-line and a lot more....and
there's so much more that needs to be done to help keep the Pacific's
radio heritage alive.

You can help. Visit our on-line store and buy books from our
bookstore, get your wonderful set of Australian Art Deco Vintage
Wireless Medallions, volunteer some time, make a PAYPAL donation,
commission some research from us, send us radio memorabilia and
memories, share your stories, become a radio heritage partner.....the
list is pretty much up to your imagination!

If you haven't found radio heritage news about the areas that really
excite you...such as amateur radio, old time radio shows, vintage
radios, aviation radio, marine radio....it's just because we need
you to come forward and join our growing team!

To answer a question we're often asked...where do we get our funding
from? It's certainly not from any government agency. In fact, New
Zealand's broadcasting funding agency NZ On Air refuses to even
consider allocating 1 single cent to us!

We rely on growing sponsorships from partners who want to see radio
heritage protected. We rely on donations from individuals who feel
that their contributions are valuable and do make a difference.

Yes, You can make a Difference!
If you feel that our radio heritage is worth looking after and like
what we're doing, please join our family of regular contributors. New
Zealand donations over NZ$5 are tax-deductable. With 90% of web site
visitors living outside New Zealand, PAYPAL is a good option for
simple credit card payments.

170000 Visitors and Growing Monthly
Sharing stories from the past and preparing to share today's stories
tomorrow, is proving possible thanks to so many people like you.
Visits to the website have grown nearly 700% since last March and
we're now averaging 170,000+ visitors annually and growing at 15%
monthly..... wonderful evidence that our projects are reaching out
to people, our free access website is being used, and that we're
meeting an incredible demand for independent radio heritage
information.

Thanks for helping make it possible. And, tell us what you want to
see more of on-line, and what kinds of projects you want to see us
make more progress with...

On behalf of the Board, our radio heritage partners and all our
supporters,

Warm regards
David Ricquish
Chairman
Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

PS...remember to visit the website soon and listen to RNZI over the
next few weeks for our latest radio heritage documentary!